Join us as we celebrate LAM Social Network’s 6th year anniversary. Our followers can purchase tickets at discount. Highlights of the event include:
- Networking reception co-hosted by over 12 Latino organizations with complimentary appetizers and live guitarist Gabriel Navia
- LAM Community Awards
- Key Note speaker, Rick Najera award-winning actor-writer-director-producer with credits in film, television, theatre and Broadway.
- Silent auction throughout the night. Items being auctioned include 2 tickets to Mexico + 3 night stay All-Inclusive stay at Hilton Puerto Vallarta, a Verizon tablet, and other great items. 100% proceeds will go to Latino youth programs in the Bay Area via Latino Community Foundation.
We invite you to attend Fiestas Fridas on July 5-7 taking place in San Francisco. The event celebrates the life, art, and legacy of Frida Kahlo and her connection to San Francisco. The event includes music, food, and film. Cine+Mas SF is a co-presenter and benefactor.
All ticketed/RSVP events at a glance: VIEW ALL
Recetas de Frida Gala
Friday July 5th, 6 to 11pm Mission Cultural Center TICKETS $40 advanced / $50 at the door.
· Local Restaurants Make and donate one of Frida Kahlo’s recipes for this first ever Gala Opening of San Francisco’s three day Frida Birthday Festival.
Featured restaurants: Puerto Alegre, Gracias Madre, Mijita, Regalito, La Palma Mexitessen, Chili Pie, Green Chili Kitchen, Chilango, Casa de Chocolates and more. Recipes include, Mole Amarillo, Chipotle Guacamole, Chocolates Tradicionales, Fresh Made Tortillas, Pan de Elote con Rajas, Tacos, Savory and Sweet Pies, Aguas Frescas, Fresh salsas y mas.
Chat with each restaurant to get the inside scoop and tips on making the Frida dishes they select.
· Beverages provided by Tequila Don Pilar, serving it clean or in margaritas, Beer and Wine bar (no host) Proceeds go to CINE+MAS presenters of the San Francisco Latino Film Festival
· Dj Rosa la Rumorosa spinning Salsa, Merengue,World Music and dance classics. Mariachi Femenil Orgullo Mexicano (all woman Mariachi Band) playing the best in Mariachi Music, Live Art by local painters, Face Painting for Adults, Pop-up bookstore (cookbook, diaries, Frida posters, etc).
· Frida Inspired Art vendors through out the event, please buy and support local artists and businesses.
Any remaining tickets will be sold at the door for $50 starting at 5 pm July 5th at Mission Cultural Center.
For more information/Para mas informacion: 415.799.7087
Saturday July 6th 5PM-11PM Tickets $25 Advanced/ $35 at the door.
Victoria Theater Film/Performance
· 5:00 PM “The Life and Death of Frida Kahlo as told to David and Karen Crommie” Documentary 1966 – 40 minutes.
The extraordinary film by the Crommies of San Francisco that started it all. The original documentary that brought Frida Kahlo out from under the shadow of her husband, Diego Rivera, and shared her story with the world. Frida was flamboyant, outrageous, obsessed with the child she couldn’t have and, above all, an artist who uniquely captured her life and emotions on canvas. Narrated by the eleven people who knew her best, the film traces a life that wavered on the cutting edge of art and politics during the 1930s. In English with some Spanish/Subtitles.
· 6:00 PM “Frida – Naturaleza Viva” 1984- 108 minutes The original Frida movie directed by Paul Leduc.
The original full-length movie of the life of Frida Kahlo. The film was produced in Mexico and is said to be “The True Story”…an extraordinary realization by Director Paul Leduc of the life of Frida Kahlo, the most admired Mexican painter in the world. In this drama, Frida’s life story is told in surreal deathbed flashbacks resembling her haunting paintings. The actress Ofelia Medina, who portrays Kahlo, bears not only an uncanny resemblance, but shares her mannerisms, her dignity and her feverish passion. Through Frida’s eyes we get to know her relationship with the great muralist Diego Rivera, the Russian thinker Leon Trotsky and the intellectual and the artistic life of Mexico at the end of the 1940’s. in Spanish with subtitles featuring Ofelia Medina, directed by Paul Leduc. In Spanish with English subtitles
· 8:30 PM “Somos Frida” Performers Showcase featuring live music, dancers, singers, solo Frida Vignettes, Diego and Frida performance pieces, La Calaverika, I am Frida Kahlo, Jesus Barella, Amelia Avila, Xanthia, Chloe Rose and more.
· Wine, beer bar (no host) Proceeds go to CINE+MAS presenters of the San Francisco Latino Film Festival. Concession stand inside; Local Food Vendors located just outside the theater.
Any remaining tickets will be sold at the door for $35 starting at 4 pm July 6th at The Victoria Theater box office.
VALID Proof of Age Required at all times.
For more information/Para mas informacion: 415.799.7087
Sunday July 7th
Women’s Building Community Event 2pm to 9 pm
* DJ Anthony Valadez (KCRW Los Angeles) Frida inspired World Music Set
* DJ Rosa La Rumorosa Salsa & Latin Music Set
* Live Art, Performers, Dancers & Music on the main stage
* Local artists and vendors of Frida inspired art
* Frida Raffle featuring Restaurant Gift Certificates, Signed Bottle of Tequila Don Pilar, Fossil Calavera Watch and more
* Community Costume Contest – Best Frida, Best Frido (dressed like a boy), Best Fridita (kids), Best FriDrag, Best Frita (Funny Frida), Best Diego and Best Diegito
Audre Lorde Room
* Curated Art Exhibit of FFSF Participating Artists
* Wine, Beer, Snack Area
* Art Vendor Area, Pop-up Bookstore
* pARTicipation craft stations. Frida inspired art for adults
*pARTicipation craft area for kids sponsored by La Plazita Preschool 2pm to 6pm
We’re happy to be co-presenting these three films at Frameline- which runs from June 20-30 in San Francisco and Berkeley.
Antonio Hens 2013 Spain/Cuba 90 min World Premier!
An Ecstasy-fueled night out leads to romantic feelings between Cuban youngsters Reinier and Yosvani, but external pressures of family, girlfriends, and poverty cause dramatic ups and downs in their subsequent relationship in this powerful and sexy drama set amid the streets of picturesque Havana. Castro Theater June 24 6:30 PM
Dir Javier Van de Couter 2012 Argentina/Spain 105 min
Ale, a transwoman living in a shanty-town, becomes a surrogate mother for a grieving girl. Without sugarcoating Ale’s life, the film portrays her indomitable spirit in this poignant meditation on family, home and loss. Castro Theater June 27 11 AM Buy tickets.
DEL OTRO LADO DEL VERANO / The Other Side of Summer
Dir. Antonia San Juan, Spain , 2012 , 100 min.
Tana’s family put the “D” in dysfunctional. Never is this more clear than when her unemployed, alcoholic Dad kicks the bucket. The ties (licit and illicit) between his widow, her sisters, his sister, and various cousins are more tangled than a rat’s nest, and Salvador’s death unleashes a merry-go-round of backstabbing gossip and melodrama. How do you maintain your sanity in a family where your grandmother crank calls your mom? Victoria Theater June 25 9:30 PM Buy Tickets/See Trailer
Victoria Theater June 26 9:30 PM Buy tickets.