Fiestas Fridas SF 2014 Events
Aside from Mexico and Paris, San Francisco was one of Frida Kahlo’s favorite places to be. She spent many days watching Diego paint commissioned murals all over the Bay Area and many days visiting her doctor, whose practice was in San Francisco. In 1931, Frida’s painting “Frieda and Diego Rivera” showed at the “Sixth Annual Exhibition of the San Francisco Society of Women Artists” – the first public showing of her work. She married Diego for the second time at SF City Hall on Diego’s birthday.
Fiestas Fridas SF and Cine+Mas SF Latino Film Festival seek to revive the love affair between Frida and San Francisco. Our events combine art, food, and music into culturally relevant events that focus on community and Frida’s message of healing through art no matter what tragedies life throws in our path. All funds raised after expenses benefit SF LaTEENo Youth Filmmakers program, Rainbow Teen Center in Oakland and PlayNice Youth programs of the Peninsula.
Our inaugural three day event in 2013 left many wishing they didn’t have to choose between Fourth of July and Frida of July. We have resolved the dilemma by offering a month long celebration this July. Check out what we have in store.
*This year’s Fiestas Fridas SF (he)Art! Exhbit has moved to la Calle 24. Catch our Virtual Art Exhibit running continuously from July 1st – August 10th.
*Puerto Alegre restaurant hosts Bird Levy’s legendary “Pasion de Frida” exhibit for its fifth season featuring FridArte submissions by over 32 talented Friduchos. July 1 – August 15th
*Our “Somos Frida (We are Frida)” Birthday Celebration/Family Day offers shopping, food, art and music. July 6th
- Stop by our (he)Art! Exhibit Opening celebration of Frida & Mi Otro Yo, meet the artists and
- Get your Frida PASS for only $10 We’ve got all the Frida stuff you’ve ever dreamed of and more, with over 15 vendors and artisans selling their wares and handmade FridArte at a discount to our Pass holders. http://www.eventbrite.com/e/frida-pass-early-bird-tickets-11819192523
- We end our celebration at Alley Cat Books and Gallery for the art opening of one of SF’s prolific Friducho artists and San Francisco’s own Santos Perdidos serenading Frida on her special day. Their mix of Latino music will have you on the dance floor throwing down your moves before you can say Diego Rivera.
*JC Events, Mahlae Balenciaga and The Lady Miss Vagina Jenkins curate our FriDrAg and Burlesque show at The Café in the Castro for a night of high class drag, no class debauchery and homegrown sass & burlesque. July 7th, doors open at 7, show at 9 PM http://www.eventbrite.com/e/fridrag-burlesque-show-tickets-11912569817
*The 60th Anniversary of Frida’s Death. In honor of her 47 years of life we present two films www.brownpapertickets.com
- “The Life and Death of Frida Kahlo as told to Karen and David Crommie”-40 minutes
- “Frida – Naturaleza Viva/Frida Still Life” -108 minutes
- A celebration with music, food and drinks to follow the movie
*The following shops will feature Frida art, Jewelry or clothing for sale in July
- Runway Style House. Oakland
- Alley Cat Bookstore and Gallery. San Francisco
- Modern Times Bookstore. San Francisco
- The Gallery (lower Haight). San Francisco
- Everlasting Love. San Francisco
- Niju Jewelry Store
- Luz de Luna. San Francisco
- Cliff’s Variety. San Francisco. Join us for the unveiling of the Castro’s Homenaje a Frida Kahlo on July 7th at 5:30 pm. Snacks, beverages and a Frida Kahlo look-a-like contest.
Que viva Frida!
Que viva el arte!